PHILADELPHIA—The Harvard men's tennis team fell to Penn in a 4-3 heartbreaker in the ECAC Championship final today at the Hecht Tennis Center in Philadelphia. The Crimson drops to 7-4 (0-0 Ivy) on the season.
The Crimson was first to strike in today's bout, taking the doubles point over Penn. Although the Quakers took an early advantage with a victory over Christopher Morrow and Lane Leschly on court three, Robert Wrzesinski and Brian Shi quickly evened the score at 1-1 with a decisive 6-3 victory in the No. 2 position. No. 53 doubles pair Andy Zhou and Logan Weber sealed the point with a 6-3 victory in the top spot to move Harvard into singles with the 1-0 lead.
Penn jumped out to a 3-1 margin over the Crimson, picking up straight-sets victories on courts one, two and four over Andy Zhou, Robert Wrzesinski and Harris Walker. After falling in the first set, Steven Sun bounced back to take down Penn in No. 5 spot and give Harvard its first singles point. Shortly thereafter, Brian Shi evened the match at 3-3 with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 win in the No. 3 spot. Ultimately, Penn took the match on court six, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 after a strong fight from Constantin Zoske.
-Steven Sun continues his winning streak, fighting back from a first set loss to take the No. 5 spot, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1.
-Robert Wrzesinski and Brian Shi led the Crimson in doubles at the ECAC tournament, going 3-0 on the weekend.
The Crimson returns to the Murr Center to host Memphis on Sunday, Feb. 24 at 1 p.m.
1. Kyle Mautner def. Andy Zhou, 6-1, 6-2
2. Edoardo Graziani def. Robert Wrzesinski, 6-4, 6-2
3. Brian Shi def. Kevin Zhu, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Dimitry Shatalin def. Harris Walker, 6-4, 7-5
5. Steven Sun def. Noah Makarome, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
6. Max Cancilla def. Constantin Zoske, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 6*
1. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber def. Kyle Mautner/Dimitry Shatalin, 6-3
2. Robert Wrzesinski/Brian Shi def. Kevin Zhu/Edoardo Graziani, 6-3
3. Max Cancilla/Aleks Huryn def. Christopher Morrow/Lane Leschly, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1