SAN DIEGO—Playing its first match since February, the Harvard men's tennis team returned to the court with a commanding 7-0 victory over Williams College this afternoon. With today's West Coast win, the Crimson improves to 9-4 (0-0 Ivy) on the season.
Harvard quickly took control of the match, taking an early 1-0 lead with straight victories in doubles. First to strike, No. 20 doubles pair Andy Zhou and Logan Weber took down Williams in the first slot, picking up a 6-3 win over the Ephs. Following close behind, Christopher Morrow and Brian Shi secured the doubles point for the Crimson with a 6-4 win on court two.
Moving into singles play, senior Andy Zhou added another point to Harvard's score, coasting by Williams' Arturo Kam in straight-sets. Andrew Ball advanced the Crimson to 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court six, allowing first-year Brian Shi to clinch the match in the second position with a dominant 6-4, 6-3 win over the Ephs.
-First-year Steven Sun improved to 12-0 with a three-set victory over Williams in the No. 4 position for the Crimson.
-No. 20 doubles pair Andy Zhou and Logan Weber move to 8-4 in doubles with today's win.
-The Crimson maintains the advantage in the all-time series with the Ephs, advancing to 30-5-1.
Harvard closes out its West Coast road trip with the San Diego Spring Classic, March 21-23.
1. Andy Zhou def. Arturo Kam, 6-3, 6-0
2. Brian Shi def. Austin Barr, 6-4, 6-3
3. Harris Walker def. Ananth Raghavan, 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
4. Steven Sun def. Deepak Indrahanti, 6-0, 5-7, 6-1
5. Lane Leschly def. Calvin Chung, 4-6, 7-6, 3-2 (w.d.)
6. Andrew Ball def. Alex Taylor, 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2*, 4, 5, 3
1. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber def. Alex Taylor/Peter Frelinghuysen, 6-3
2. Christopher Morrow/Brian Shi def. Arturo Kam/Calvin Chung, 6-4
3. Harris Walker/Stevevn Sun def. Deepak Indrakanti/Austin Barr, 7-6(7)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3