CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team (3-0) won its third-straight match of the season, defeating BYU 4-3, dropping the Cougars to 1-3 on the year. After falling behind 1-0, the Crimson came back from its doubles loss to win four out of six singles matches to take the victory.
The Crimson started of strong in singles play, winning three matches in straight sets to take a 3-1 lead. First-year Ronan Jachuck was the first to finish for Harvard, defeating Mateo Vereau Melendez in the No. 2 position, 6-2, 6-1. That victory was followed up by wins in the No. 3 and 4 slots by first-year Henry von der Schulenburg and sophomore Harris Walker, respectively.
Sophomore Steven Sun defeated Sam Tullis in the No. 6 spot, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5, to clinch the victory for Harvard at 4-2. A hard-fought loss in three sets by sophomore Brian Shi at the No. 1 position would end the match and provide the final margin.
- Jachuck and von der Schulenburg remain undefeated in singles play on the season. The duo improved to 3-0.
- Sun and Walker are undefeated in the two singles matches that they have competed in.
- von der Schulenburg and Walker have won all of their matches in straight sets.
Harvard will continue play at the Crimson Kick-Off against Minnesota on Sunday, Jan. 26, at 12 p.m. The match will take place at the Murr Center Tennis Courts and will be broadcast on ESPN3.
1. No. 80 Sean Hill def. Brian Shi, 7-5, 6-7, 6-1
2. Ronan Jachuck def. Mateo Vereau Melendez, 6-2, 6-1
3. Henry von der Schulenburg def. Matheus Ferreira Leite, 6-1, 6-3
4. Harris Walker def. Ben Gajardo, 6-3, 6-4
5. Jack Barnett def. Robert Wrzesinski, 7-6, 1-6, 6-2
6. Steven Sun def. Sam Tullis, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6*, 1
1. Jachuck/Shi vs. Hill/Vereau Melendez, 5-5 DNF
2. Gajardo/Tullis def. Sun/Walker, 6-4
3. Leite/Barnett def. Weber/Wrzesinski, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2