CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 11 Harvard men's water polo team will open its season on Sept. 8 at the Bruno Classic. The Bruno Classic will be co-hosted by Harvard and Brown with Harvard playing its matches on Sunday at home against Cal Lutheran at 10 a.m. and then returning to face McKendree at 2:15 p.m. Both games will be broadcast on ESPN+.
What to Know
- Last year, Harvard finished second in the Northeast Water Polo Conference.
- The Collegiate Water Polo Association ranked Harvard 11th in the nation in the 2019 preseason poll.
- Senior captain Austin Sechrest and junior Dennis Blyashov both received All-America honors last season. Sechrest, Blyashov, and sophomore Noah Hodge received NWPC All-Conference honors as well.
- Harvard leads the series against Cal Lutheran 3-0 with the last meeting culminating in a 14-9 victory.
- The Crimson has only faced McKendree once before, a 19-5 win in 2017.
At the Helm
The Friends of Harvard Water Polo Head Coach, Ted Minnis, enters his 10th season after leading the Crimson to 20 or more wins for the fifth consecutive season in 2018. With a 22-8 record, Minnis has accumulated 171 victories with the men's program over nine seasons, including a victory over No. 3 California in triple overtime in 2018.
The Crimson will travel to Princeton, N.J. for the Princeton Invite. There, the team will see action against No. 9 UC San Diego, Fordham, Johns Hopkins, and Navy.