CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—The Harvard nordic and alpine skiing teams kick off the 2018-19 slate with a return to the St. Lawrence Carnival in Lake Placid, New York for the first time since the 2016-17 season. The nordic team opens competition on Friday, Jan. 11, competing at Mt. Van Hoevenberg through Saturday, Jan. 12. The alpine team will hit the slopes on Saturday, racing down Whiteface Mountain over a two-day spread to close out the weekend for the Crimson skiers on Sunday, Jan. 13.
Event: St. Lawrence Carnival
Dates: Jan. 11-13
Venue: Mt. Van Hoevenberg (nordic)/Whiteface (alpine)
Location: Lake Placid, N.Y.
- Friday – 9 a.m. (alpine)
- Saturday – 9 a.m. (alpine), 10 a.m. (nordic)
- Sunday – 10 a.m. (nordic)
Start Lists and Results: click here
What to Know
- Harvard concluded its 2017-18 season with an 11th place finish at the Middlebury Carnival. For the alpine squad, Sophomore Nellie Idea capped a successful rookie season with a 37th place finish in the giant slalom.
- On the nordic side, William Rhatigan led the Crimson in the 10K classic race at Middlebury, finishing 34th with a time of 26:03.4. He paced Harvard throughout the weekend, capping his sophomore campaign with a 36th place finish at 50:49.4 in the 20K freestyle.
- Senior Nina Armstrong qualified for her first-ever 2018 NCAA Skiing Championship in nordic skiing after accumulating 92 points at Middlebury. At NCAAs, Armstrong posted 40th in both the 5K Classical and 15K freestyle events.
- Ide joins senior Dennis Bao as the 2018-19 captains of the alpine squad. Senior Lily Koffman and Jacob Meyerson step into the captain's role for the nordic team this season.
- Last time the Crimson competed at the St. Lawrence Carnival, the team finished 10th out of a 17-team field.
The Crimson travels to Durham, N.H. to compete at the UNH Carnival, Jan. 18-19. The alpine team will compete in the slalom and giant slalom events, while the nordic squad will take on the 15K/20K classic and the skate sprint events.