CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Earning a weekend sweep to secure two conference wins, the Harvard women's basketball team (13-6, 4-2 Ivy League) took down Brown (7-12, 1-5 Ivy League), 68-53, tonight at Lavietes Pavilion. With the win, the Crimson moved to 4-2 in conference action.
First-year Lola Mullaney led Harvard in scoring for the 13th time this season, recording 14 points off four-for-eight shooting. Sophomores Tess Sussman and Maggie McCarthy, along with junior co-captain Rachel Levy, joined in double figures with 13, 10 and 10 points, respectively. Levy posted back-to-back double-doubles, pacing Harvard with 10 rebounds, while Sussman registered her first of the season, adding 11 boards to her tally.
Brown began the game with a 5-2 advantage after a slow start for both teams. The Crimson knotted the score at eight apiece after back-to-back triples from McCarthy and Mullaney. Three more triples from Levy, Mullaney and Sussman gave Harvard the lead at 19-10, as the Crimson used a 3-0 run to close the opening quarter.
McCarthy started the second quarter off with her second triple of the night, before layups from Boehm and Mullaney widened the Crimson's margin to 16 at 26-10. Brown came within 10 midway through the frame, but Harvard's offensive push with a triple from Sara Park ended the half with the Crimson up 34-21.
Harvard's sharp shooting from behind the arc continued into the second half, as Mullaney started the third quarter off with a triple from the top of the key. Two consecutive triples from the Brown Bears helped cut its deficit to 11, before Mullaney, Sussman and first-year Gabby Donaldson knocked down three more triples to give the Crimson a 53-35 lead headed into the final frame.
The Crimson opened the final frame with a 6-2 run, capped by a triple from Sussman. Brown hit a string of free throws down the stretch, but strong defense from Harvard held the Brown Bears at bay, as the Crimson went on to seal the 68-53 victory.
- Harvard downed five triples in the first quarter alone, en route to 12 on the night.
- The Crimson is now 6-1 when shooting 35% or better on three pointers, posting a 42.9 percentage tonight.
- Four players posted double-digit points tonight, led by Mullaney for the 13th time this season with 14.
- Levy registered back-to-back double-doubles, while Sussman recorded her first of the season.
- Harvard dished out 14 assists tonight, as Sussman paced the Crimson with four.
- Harvard moves to 55-34 in its all-time series with Brown, securing 16 of the last 18 matchups with the Brown Bears.
- The Crimson earned a weekend sweep with its victory tonight, previously defeating Yale, 66-57, last night.
Harvard will travel to Cornell and Columbia for its first back-to-back Ivy League road trip of the season next weekend, Feb. 14-15. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively, as will be broadcast on ESPN+.