D'Oench, Maschmeyer Lead No. 7/7 Women's Hockey to 3-0 Win Over Union

D'Oench, Maschmeyer Lead No. 7/7 Women's Hockey to 3-0 Win Over Union

Harvard moves to 3-1-0 in ECAC play after a split weekend on the road. (Gil Talbot)

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – The No. 7/7 Harvard women's hockey team rebounded from a tough loss Friday night with a thorough, 3-0 handling of Union on Saturday at Messa Rink. The Crimson (3-1-0, 3-1-0 ECAC) got help up front from Miye D'Oench who notched two goals in the winning effort, her first scores of the young season. As is usually the case, Emerance Maschmeyer shored up the net for Harvard, denying 18 Dutchwomen shots to earn her second shutout in three games.

It was Marissa Gedman who got things rolling in the right direction for Harvard. Still waiting for her first points of the season, the offensive-minded defensive captain corralled a loose puck and sent a shot right through traffic to give the Crimson an early, 1-0, lead just four minutes into the contest.

From there, both teams raced up and down the ice for a fast-paced affair. Not long after Gedman registered her goal, she was booked for tripping, sending Harvard into penalty kill mode. The Crimson responded and didn't yield a single shot to Union during the two minute stretch. Harvard pressed on its own power play around the midway mark, but to no avail as Shenae Lundberg kept the Crimson off the board.

The Dutchwomen sent a late flurry of shots Maschmeyer's way in the closing minutes of the period, but the Crimson defense stepped up again, as did the sophomore netminder, sending Union into the intermission empty handed.

Right off the bat, Harvard began the second period with the extra urgency, and it paid off for the Crimson. In a span of two minutes, D'Oench found the back of the net twice for the visitors. With the first, at 1:00, D'Oench collected a smooth pass from Robyn White, pushing it through Lundberg's pads.

At 3:07, Samantha Reber found D'Oench from the wing, allowing the sophomore to capitalize once again on an open shot, this time putting the Crimson up 3-0 over the Dutchwomen, and marking the first time in her Cambridge career she secured herself a multi-goal game.

Later in the frame, Harvard nearly converted another on a power play. The fourth of five straight saves for Lundberg in the Crimson barrage came within inches of crossing the goal line as Crowe's attempt was kicked away at the last second by Lundberg's blade. After the Crimson power play ended, Sarah Edney ripped another shot from the blue line, but it hit the post and bounced out of the zone, ending the bombardment.

After the second period eventually came to a close, Harvard opened the third with a similar attack, but so did Union. In a span of less than two minutes, he Dutchwomen sent five shots on target, but Maschmeyer steered away every one of them to protect the shutout.

With just three minutes left in the game, Mary Parker was called for hooking, allowing Union to pull Lundberg for a dicey 6-no-4 advantage to test Maschmeyer and the Harvard defense. But three saves and a few well-timed clears later, Harvard held on for the 3-0 win, shutting out the Dutchwomen for the 18th time in the series.

Harvard returns to the ice Friday on another road trip in the Empire State, this time with visits to St. Lawrence and Clarkson on the docket.