CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Multi-point efforts from four different players led the Harvard women's hockey team (10-13-2, 8-9-2 ECAC) to a 3-2 victory over Union (7-20-4, 5-13-1 ECAC) on Friday night at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center. Becca Gilmore led the team with two goals, while Kat Hughes tallied the game-winning goal and added an assist. Brooke Jovanovich and Kate Glover marked the scoresheet with two assists apiece.
After a scoreless first period where Harvard outshot Union 15-5, the Dutchwomen put themselves on the board when Katelyn Russ found the back of the net early in the second. Minutes later, Becca Gilmore returned the favor, tying the game heading into the third period. Gilmore and Kat Hughes would score back-to-back in the third, just 1:08 apart to put the Crimson up 3-1 with 12:12 remaining on the game clock. The Dutchwomen would get the final say, potting a second goal with just 25 seconds on the clock, but the effort would fall short as Harvard held off a final attempt to win the game 3-2.
Harvard's second line of Jovanovich, Gilmore and Hughes continues to make a large impact on the scoresheet. The trio tallied six points this evening and has accumulated 38 points in 16 games played together. Adding assists on both of Gilmore's goals, rookie defenseman Kate Glover doubled her career point total and posted her first career multi-point outing. Kat Hughes marked her third game-winning goal of the season, which now leads the team.
In net, Beth Larcom made 25 saves, earning her ninth win of the season. Both teams were unsuccessful in two power-play opportunities and Harvard's PK unit was able to kills off 22 seconds of five-on-three play. Kaitlin Tse led the Crimson with six shots on goal tonight, while Becca Gilmore and Chelsea Ziadie blocked two shots each.
- Union struck first when Katelynn Russ forced a turnover at the Union blue line and skated down the middle of the ice before rifling a shot inside the left post at 3:04 of the second period.
- Becca Gilmore would light the lamp for the eighth time this season just 4:27 later to tie the score at one. Kate Glover tripped up the Dutchwomen trying to clear along the right dashers and fed the puck to Brooke Jovanovich. Jovanovich attempted to get the puck across the zone but was stifled by three Union players before Gilmore took the loose puck and sent a wrister into the top right corner at 7:31 of the middle frame.
- Harvard would take its first lead of the game at 6:40 of the third period off the stick of Becca Gilmore. After Kate Glover sped up the ice, she tossed the puck to Kat Hughes at the center line where Hughes moved along the right boards before Gilmore knocked in a shot from the rim of the right circle far-side.
- Kat Hughes would capitalize 1:08 later to make it 3-1 Harvard with 12:12 to play. After Union botched a pass across the point, Brooke Jovanovich bounced the puck off the glass and down towards the Union zone. The Dutchwomen defense was unable to catch up to the puck until Kat Hughes took possession at the left corner and swung around the front of the net, chipping the puck over Spooner's right pad.
- Union would close the gap to one with 25 seconds on the clock. Facing pressure in the Harvard zone, Union sent the puck back behind the Harvard goal where Katelynn Russ had plenty of space to skate around the right side of the net and backhand a shot into Larcom's five-hole at 19:35 of the final frame.
Harvard will return to the ice tomorrow afternoon to take on Rensselaer. Following the 3 p.m. contest, the Crimson will celebrate the Class of 2018 with its annual Senior Ceremony.