Scoring Frenzy Ensues in Game One of ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals

HAMILTON, N.Y. – A total of 10 goals were scored in the opening match of the ECAC quarterfinal round, between the Harvard women's hockey team (13-15-2) and No. 4/4 Colgate (30-4-1), that ended 6-4 in favor of the Raiders. After concluding the first period down three goals, the Crimson clawed back to put itself within one but was unable to overcome the deficit in the final minutes. 

The Raiders came out blazing in their home rink, going up 3-0 after the first 20 minutes. Early in the second, Becca Gilmore would put the Crimson on the board before Colgate added a score to take back a three-goal lead. Late in the second, Chelsea Ziadie scored her third power-play tally of the season, which leads the team, to cut the Raider's lead to two. The final four goals of the game were scored in a six-minute span during the third period. Colgate lit the lamp first at 7:12 to extend its margin to 5-2 before Becca Gilmore and Keely Moy found the back of the net 42 seconds apart to put Harvard down just one, 4-5, with 8:48 on the game clock. Colgate would add its final tally on the power-play at 13:10 to mark the final score at 6-4. 

Becca Gilmore and Kat Hughes both posted multi-point outings, Gilmore going 2-1-3 and Hughes going 0-2-2. Five other Harvard players also marked the scoresheet including Chelsea Ziadie and Keely Moy with goals, and Kate Hallett, Haley Mullins and Emma Buckles with assists. The Crimson went 2-4 on the power-play, improving its conversion rate to 17.6 percent which ranks in the top 15 in the country among Division I programs. 

Behind the blue line, Harvard's defense blocked nine shots courtesy of Ali Peper, Emma Buckles and Kate Glover who stopped two apiece. Beth Larcom posted 37 saves between the pipes, including 17 of 18 shots in the second period. 

Goal Descriptions

  • Colgate struck just 56 seconds into the game, when Shelby Wood sent in a shot from the point that Breanne Wilson-Bennett was able to clip in front of the goal to take an early 1-0 lead.
  • In a similar fashion, the Raiders doubled their lead when Jessie Eldridge rifled a shot from the point that Shae Labbe caught a piece of en route to the net at 13:04 of the opening frame.
  • Shae Labbe would tally her second of the game when she and Jessie Eldridge took possession at the Harvard blue line and went two-on-one towards the Harvard net, where Labbe chipped the puck past Larcom glove-side.
  • Early in the second, Becca Gilmore forced a turnover along the neutral zone boards where Kat Hughes was able to pick up the puck and carry it down the ice to feed back to Gilmore at the crease who pushed it past Vandyk at 5:57 of the second.
  • Colgate took back its three-goal lead when Shae Labbe intercepted a Harvard pass in the Raiders' zone and sent it up ice to Megan Sullivan who went one-on-one with Larcom, faked left and shot right at 12:31 of the middle period.
  • Harvard would strike again before the end of the second. On the power-play, Kat Hughes tossed the puck from the top of the left circle down to Becca Gilmore on the goal line, who swung around for a shot that Vandyk was unable to secure. Chelsea Ziadie was stationed on the other side of the crease, and banged home the loose puck at 15:00 of the second frame.
  • The Raiders were again able to extend their lead at 7:12 of the third when Jessie Eldridge fired a familiar shot from the point that Shelby Perry was able to redirect from right in front of the net.
  • Harvard would find some momentum heading into the second half of the final frame. On the power-play, Emma Buckles rifled a shot from the blue line that Colgate attempted to block at the front of the net. The Raiders were unable to get control of the puck and Haley Mullins adeptly passed the puck to Becca Gilmore at the left corner where she beat Vandyk stick-side at 10:30 of the third.
  • Just 42 seconds later, Keely Moy put the Crimson in a position to completely close the gap when Kate Hallett picked the puck off the boards outside the left circle and dove onto the ice to get the disk to Moy. Moy glided across the slot and chipped a shot from inside the right circle that sailed into the bottom left corner of the net at 11:12 of the final period.
  • The Raiders would have the final say, re-establishing a two-goal lead at 13:10 of the third period. Playing five-on-three, the Raiders circulated the puck around the zone before Bailey Larson shot from the left circle and Breanne Wilson-Bennett and Megan Sullivan were able to put up back-to-back attempts on net. Sullivan's backhand was able to slip by Larcom's left pad to set the final score at 6-4. 

What's Next?
The Crimson will return to the Class of 1965 Arena tomorrow for game two of the ECAC Quarterfinal series. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m. and the game will again be broadcast on the Patriot League Network.