HAMILTON, N.Y. – The Harvard women's hockey team dropped a 6-1 decision to the No. 4/4 Colgate Raiders (31-4-1, 19-3-0 ECAC) in game two of the ECAC Tournament quarterfinals this afternoon, Feb. 24. With the loss, the Crimson closes the door on the 2017-18 season, finishing with a 13-16-2 overall record and 10-10-2 in the ECAC.
The Raiders scored early, as they did in game one, but Harvard responded much quicker on a goal from Brooke Jovanovich 41 seconds after Colgate marked the board. Harvard would fight their way through the entire game, as Colgate managed to net two more goals in the second and three in the third, including an empty-netter late in the game.
The Crimson stepped up its offensive production this afternoon, firing 32 shots on goal out of 52 total attempts. Emma Buckles led the team with eight, while Becca Gilmore, Haley Mullins and Kat Hughes rifled off four apiece. Beth Larcom made 30 saves in net, while the defense blocked six shots from reaching the goalie.
- Colgate opened scoring on the power-play 7:20 into the first. Colgate dug the puck out from behind the Harvard net, and Jessie Eldridge got the puck to Megan Sullivan at the top of the left circle for a shot. The one-timer bounced off Harvard where Eldridge was able to catch the rebound and beat Larcom stick-side.
- The Crimson was unfazed, coming back to tie the game 41 seconds later off the stick of Brooke Jovanovich. Kat Hughes initiated the play, dropping the puck in the middle of the point, primed for an Ali Peper wrister. Jovanovich was parked between the hash marks and clipped the puck to even the score at 8:01 of the first.
- Early in the second, the Raiders took back a lead when Bailey Larson picked up a Colgate dump behind the goal line and fed it to Breanne Wilson-Bennett who backhanded it in from the right corner of the net at 0:40 of the middle frame.
- Jessie Eldridge notched her second of the game less than three minutes later to put the Raiders up by two. With two Crimson players closing in on Megan Sullivan along the boards in the neutral zone, Sullivan launched the puck across the ice off the left dashers. Eldridge was in position to approach the net uncontested and slipped a score past Larcom at 3:35 of the second.
- The Raiders scored their fourth goal when Shelby Wood shot wide from the top of the right circle and the puck bounced off the boards behind the net to Lauren Wildfang on the goal line. Wildfang was able to snap the puck to the back of the net before Larcom could shift sides at 4:01 of the third.
- Colgate extended its lead late in the third after Harvard pulled Larcom in an attempt to close the gap. With the puck flying around Colgate's zone, Lauren Wildfang took possession between the hash marks and flung the puck up ice where Jessie Eldridge gained control in the right circle and effortlessly guided the puck into the open net at 17:23 of the final frame.
- Colgate sealed the game at 18:59 of the third when Shae Labbe carried the puck coast to coast before slipping it to Chelsea Jacques in the crease to put the Raiders up 6-1 for good.
With competition done for the season, Harvard will look forward to off-season training and its season ending banquet where team awards and the 2018-19 captains will be announced.