TROY, N.Y. – No. 10/10 Harvard women's hockey (14-11-1, 13-5-1 ECAC Hockey) claimed a 3-1 victory over Rensselaer (0-30-1, 0-19-0 ECAC Hockey) on Friday night at Houston Field House. Sydney Sorkin netted her first career tally to open the game and scores from Becca Gilmore and Kristin Della Rovere sealed the win for the Crimson.
Becky Dutton improved to 4-1-0 on the season making 16 saves while Emma Buckles contributed two blocked shots. Kristin Della Rovere put six of eight shot attempts on goal and Dominique Petrie won eight of 12 faceoffs.
Sydney Sorkin cracked the scoreboard at 14:29 of the opening frame with her first collegiate goal, putting the Crimson up 1-0. Rensselaer struck back at 8:05 of the second when a scramble around the net led to a loose puck that dribbled in to tie the game at one. Harvard regained the lead off the stick of Becca Gilmore when she fired a shot from between the circles at 13:12 of the middle frame.
Kristin Della Rovere added an insurance goal at 13:12 of the third period when she picked the puck off the Engineers in their d-zone and went one-on-one with the goalie for an unassisted score.
- Sydney Sorkin scored her first career goal.
- Becky Dutton earned her fourth win this season and is now 4-1-0 in 2019-20.
- Kristin Della Rovere has tied her career-high point streak of six games.
- Six different players marked the scoresheet.
- Harvard has swept Rensselaer each of the last three seasons and has totaled four series sweeps during the 2019-20 campaign to date (Brown, Dartmouth, Rensselaer and Yale).
- The Crimson outshot the Engineers 36-17. The Harvard defense limited the hosts to just four shots on target in the first period.
Harvard returns to the ice tomorrow at 3 p.m. to face Union.