Keeley MacAfee led the Crimson with two goals and an assist at Cornell. (Gil Talbot)
ITHACA, N.Y. – Senior captain Keeley MacAfee had two goals and an assist, and co-captain Nicole Baiocco added a goal and an assist, but Harvard women's lacrosse (2-2, 0-1 Ivy League) fell in its conference opener to Cornell (1-2, 1-0 Ivy League) on Saturday.
Harvard was even with Cornell in shots on goal (17-17) and held the edge in ground balls (19-15) and draw controls (11-7).
The Crimson took an early 2-1 lead on goals from Baiocco (25:09) and MacAfee (22:12), but then saw the Big Red rattle off six straight goals to close the half with a 7-2 lead.
- Sophomore goalie Grace Rotondo made six saves for the Crimson.
- Collen Burke (two ground balls, three caused turnovers) and Shea Jenkins (three ground balls) led the Crimson in caused turnovers and ground balls.
- Sophomore Tessa Queri led the Crimson with three draw controls.
- Harvard held the Big Red scoreless for a period of 11:00 early in the second half, but could not make up ground against Cornell in that span.
- Harvard was seeking its first win at Cornell since March 5, 2011 (W, 13-12).