CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard Wrestling got off to great start on Senior Night, winning the first three matches, but could not hold on in a 25-12 defeat to Brown on Thursday at Malkin Athletic Center.
Lukus Stricker began a string of three consecutive decisions for Harvard. The 133-pound sophomore dismissed Charlie Faber, 10-4, and passed the baton to Ryan Friedman, who followed suit with a 7-5 effort over Theo Powers at 141 pounds. Brock Wilson continued the trend with a 5-2 performance over Jack Bokina in the 149-pound weight class, propelling the Crimson to a 9-0 lead.
The Bears picked up eight points over the next two matches before Joshua Kim stopped the run. The first-year scored two points right before the second-period buzzer, lifting him to what would be an 8-5 decision over AJ Pedro at 174 pounds. With the victory, Harvard (2-9; 2-7 EIWA) extended its lead to 12-8 with four matches to go
The tide turned on the Crimson, however, beginning at the 184-pound weight class. Brown (7-6; 5-5 EIWA) earned a decision, was the beneficiary of an injury default and then closed with major decisions at 285 and 125 to provide the final margin.
- Harvard honored its six-member senior class prior to the match. Graduating this spring are L.J. Barlow, Peter Bearse, Friedman, Samuel Goldman, Matthew Rodriguez and Tyler Tarsi.
- Friedman won his final home match of his career. The senior ended his regular season with consecutive wins after pinning Jacob Martin of Hofstra and downing Powers.
- Stricker put the finishing touches on the regular season with four wins in his last five outings.
- Wilson moved above the .500 mark in the dual season with his victory at 149 pounds. The sophomore finished with a 4-3 record and has won three of his last four matches.
- Kim moved to 14-13 on the season and is 11-7 in matches decided by decision. The 14 wins are the third-most on the team, trailing Hunter Ladnier (21) and Stricker (15).
Brown 25, Harvard 12
Malkin Athletic Center; Cambridge, Mass.
133: Lukus Stricker (Harvard) over Charlie Faber (Brown), Dec. 10-4
141: Ryan Friedman (Harvard) over Theo Powers (Brown), Dec. 7-5
149: Brock Wilson (Harvard) over Jack Bokina (Brown), Dec. 5-2
157: Christian LaBrie (Brown) over Robert Groves (Harvard), TF 16-0, 2:55
165: No. 17/16 Jon Viruet (Brown) over Tyler Tarsi (Harvard), Dec. 4-2
174: Joshua Kim (Harvard) over AJ Pedro (Brown), Dec. 8-5
184: CJ LaFragola (Brown) over Leo Tarantino (Harvard), Dec. 3-1
197: Tucker Ziegler (Brown) over Cole Bateman (Harvard), Inj. Def.
285: Ian Butterbrodt (Brown) over Evan Callahan (Harvard), Maj. Dec. 12-0
125: Trey Keeley (Brown) over Connor Sakmar (Harvard), Maj. Dec. 14-6
*Rankings reflect InterMat/FloWrestling
Harvard will prepare for the EIWA Championships, which will take place March 8-9, at Binghamton. FloWrestling.org will have the live stream.