CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard wrestling is set to compete for the first time in 2020 on Saturday at The David H. Lehman Franklin & Marshall Wrestling Open. The action at Alumni Sports and Fitness Center in Lancaster, Pennsylvania is set to begin at 9 a.m. ET.
What to Know
- Harvard makes the quick turnaround from last week's competition at the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships, which ended on Monday, to compete at the one-day Franklin & Marshall Open.
- The Crimson had three wrestlers place at Midlands, marking the first time it has accomplished the feat since 2006, when it had four place-winners. Earning medals this season were first-year Yaraslau Slavikouski (4th place; 285 pounds), classmate Philip Conigliaro (5th place; 165 pounds) and senior Nolan Hellickson (8th place; 125 pounds).
- Hellickson was competing for the first time this season at Midlands along with sophomore Joshua Kim. The 174-pounder went 2-2 a year after winning 15 matches as a freshman.
- First-year Michael Jaffe picked up four additional wins in his inaugural campaign, advancing to the Midlands Second Consolation Round of 8.
- Last season at the Franklin & Marshall Open, Hunter Ladnier earned a berth in the title bout at 157 pounds, but ultimately came in second place. Along the way, he recorded his 50th win of his career after he defeated Kyle Rea of West Virginia. Lukus Stricker, meanwhile, came in fifth place in the 133-pound division.
At The Helm
Jay Weiss, The David G. Bunning '88 Head Coach for Harvard Wrestling, is in his 26th season at the helm of the program. The two-time EIWA Coach of the Year has a long history of coaching excellence on the mat and in classroom. Weiss has coached a pair of national champions, 17 EIWA champions and 19 All-Americans, while guiding his squad to the nation's top GPA in five of the last seven years.
Harvard will return to action on Jan. 11, when it travels to Phoenix, Arizona to face Arizona State, Iowa State and Campbell. The triple-dual will take place at Chase Field, home of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks.