CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard wrestling opens dual season, returning the mats Saturday, January 11 with "Duals on the Diamond" at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona. The Crimson will begin the day against No. 4/9 Arizona State at 1 p.m EST / 11 a.m. MST.
What to Know
- Harvard is coming off the single day, David H. Lehman Franklin & Marshall Open to compete in three dual matches against No. 4/9 Arizona State (1 p.m. EST / 11 a.m. MST), No. 10/11 Iowa State (3 p.m. EST / 1 p.m. MST) and Campbell University (7 p.m. EST / 5 p.m. MST).
- Senior Hunter Ladnier became the second Crimson wrestler to capture a weight class title with a win at 157 pounds, joining first-year Philip Conigliaro, who has two titles this season.
- Fellow senior Nolan Hellickson (125) appeared in the EIWA Rankings for the first time this season after a seventh-place finish at the 57th Midlands Championships. Hellickson was one of three wrestlers to place at the tournament - the first time since 2006 the Crimson had three wrestlers finish in the top eight.
- Ranked No. 14 in the latest Intermat NCAA Division I Rankings, Conigliaro has compiled an 18-4 overall mark with a pair of weight class championships heading into dual matches.
- First-year Yaraslau Slavikouski has registered a 15-6 at 285 pounds, which includes three top-four finishes in 2019-20.
At The Helm
Jay Weiss, The David G. Bunning '88 Head Coach for Harvard Wrestling, is in his 26th season at the helm of the program. The two-time EIWA Coach of the Year has a long history of coaching excellence on the mat and in classroom. Weiss has coached a pair of national champions, 17 EIWA champions and 19 All-Americans, while guiding his squad to the nation's top GPA in five of the last seven years.
Harvard begins EIWA action on Friday, January 17 against Franklin & Marshall in Lancaster, Pa. at 8 p.m.