CAMBRIDGE, Mass.– The Harvard women's rugby team improved to 3-1 on the season defeating Quinnipiac (2-3), 24-21 at Mignone Field. Senior Grace Chao's try with 22 minutes left in the second half proved to be the difference for the Crimson.
The Crimson began the game with a strong offensive push, but it was Quinnipiac who struck first. Senior Caitlin Weigel answered right back just two minutes later, getting by two defenders for the first Harvard try of the day. Senior Jenny Kronish would succeed with her conversion try to make the score 7-0.
Later in the first half, junior Robyn Beese pushed through and dove at the goal line for a try, followed by a Kronish conversion, to extend the Crimson lead to 14-7 at the half.
Just five minutes into the second half, first-year Sofie Fella found a seam and darted through untouched for a try, pushing the lead to 19-7.
Senior Grace Chao held off Bobcat defenders for the team's final try of the day, capping the team's 24-unanswered point streak.
Quinnipiac scored two late tries, including one with under a minute to go, but it proved not enough for the Bobcats.
- The Crimson answered an early Quinnipiac score with 24 unanswered points.
- Sofie Fella's try in the second half was her team-leading fourth try of the season. Her streak of consecutive tries improves to four games.
- With try's from seniors Weigel and Chao, they both move tied for second on the team with two tries this season.
- With the win, the Crimson improves to 3-5 all-time against Quinnipiac and 2-3 in 15s play.
- This is the second win of the season against Quinnipiac, after Harvard opened the season with a 32-19 victory on the road.
The Crimson will return to action Saturday at 11:00 a.m. against Notre Dame College at Mignone Field and will be streamed on ESPN+.