Women’s Soccer Falls to Boston University, 1-0, in NCAA Tournament Game

Women’s Soccer Falls to Boston University, 1-0, in NCAA Tournament Game

Cheta notched four saves in the setback (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

BOSTON - The Harvard women's soccer season came to an end on Saturday afternoon, as the Crimson fell in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Boston University by a score of 1-0 at Nickerson Field. The 2013 Ivy League Championships finished its campaign with 12 wins, which marks the most since the 2011 season.

The first half featured a scoreless battle between the squads. After four minutes of play in the midfield, Boston (15-3-4) saw the first scoring opportunity of the afternoon. Off a breakaway centering pass, Taylor Krebs fired a shot towards Cheta Emba, but the junior made a sliding save to keep the Terriers off the scoreboard. Harvard's first attempt didn't come until the 33:07 mark. Midge Purce dribbled past a defender and had a one-on-one opportunity, but Andrea Green knocked the ball down. A minute later Emba tallied her third save of the day to keep it a scoreless game as the teams headed into the locker rooms. The Crimson held the advantage in shots, 6-3, while the Terriers held the upper hand in shots, 6-3.

Lizzie Durack took over goalkeeping duties for the Crimson to start the second stanza, and was put to the test as BU burst out of intermission controlling possession for the majority of the frame. Boston took advantage of a breakaway at the 75:15 mark. Kylie Storm trapped Durack and passed over to Erica Kosienski who found the back corner of the net to make the difference in the game.

Harvard immediately responded taking possession from the circle and gained its first corner of the half. Senior captain Peyton Johnson sent the shot to the middle of the net where sophomore Alika Keene headed the ball to the top of the goal. Green tapped the ball of the cross bar to secure the victory for the Terriers.

Purce, the 2013 Ivy League Offensive Player and Rookie of the Year, led the Crimson charge recording four shots, one on goal. Keene tallied the other shot on target for Harvard. Each of the Crimson's keepers saw action in between the pipes. Emba turned away five BU shots while Durack registered one save.

With the win, Boston now advances to the second round of the NCAA tournament and will travel to Blacksburg, Va., where it will face No. 8 Santa Clara.