CAMBRIDGE, Mass – Harvard women's squash defeated the No. 3 Princeton Tigers in dramatic fashion to win its 70th straight contest. The Tigers gave the Crimson (4-0, 3-0 Ivy) all it could handle, taking an early 2-0 lead, but eventually fell to the CSA's top-ranked team, 5-4.
Knotted at four wins a piece, the match came down to the final pairing of Eleonore Evans and Emme Leonard at the fourth position. After falling behind two sets to one, Evans rallied back to win the final two games 11-9 and 11-8, giving Harvard the win.
The trio of Gina Kennedy, Amelia Henley and Hana Moataz dominated in the first three pairings, winning by a combined score of 9-0. Kennedy outscored her opponent 33-8, including a 11-0 mark in the second game, while Moataz held her opponent to under three points in each game.
The fourth win on the day went to Hannah Craig who bested her opposition 3-0 in the sixth pairing.
With the win, Harvard remains undefeated and in control of first place in the Ivy League standings.
- Captains Gina Kennedy and Amelia Henley remain perfect on the season, winnings both their matches, 3-0.
- Harvard earned points at each of the first four positions, winning those games by a combined score of 12-2.
- Hannah Craig moves to 4-0 on the season after a 3-0 win in the sixth pairing.
- Harvard has now won 70-consecutive matches, tying the all-time win streak record set by former Harvard coach Bill Doyle and his teams that won 70-straight from 1993-97.
Harvard travels to the big apple next weekend for a pair of matches with Stanford on Jan. 18 and Columbia on Jan. 19.
#1 Harvard - 5, #3 Princeton - 4
- Georgina Kennedy def. Raneem El Torky (PRINCETON) 3-0 – (11-4, 11-0, 11-4)
- Amelia Henley def. Elle Ruggiero (PRINCETON) 3-0 – (11-5, 11-9, 11-3)
- Hana Moataz def. Caroline Spahr (PRINCETON) 3-0 – (11-3, 11-2, 11-3)
- Eleonore Evans def. Emme Leonard (PRINCETON) 3-0 – (11-13, 11-5, 8-11, 11-9, 11-8)
- Andrea Toth (PRINCETON) def. Maddie Chai 3-0 – (7-11, 6-11, 5-11)
- Hannah Craig def. Emily Rose (PRINCETON) 3-0 – (11-6, 11-8, 11-4)
- M. Grace Doyle (PRINCETON) def. Evie Coxon 3-0 – (6-11, 7-11, 9-11)
- Morgan Steelman (PRINCETON) def. Charlotte Orcutt 3-0 – (8-11, 9-11, 9-11)
- India Stephenson def Grace Steelman 3-0 - (9-11, 11-8, 3-11, 4-11)
Order of Finish: 5-8-2-1-6-7-3-9-4