NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Harvard women's tennis team fought hard, but game up short in a 4-3 loss to Yale in the team's second match of the ECAC Tournament Saturday. The team will close out the tournament against Cornell Sunday at 8 a.m. The match will be broadcast on ESPN3.
The team started strong by earning the doubles point. The pairing of senior Erica Oosterhout and junior Natasha Gonzalez defeated Caroline Dunleavy and Raissa Lou, 6-4. First-year Annika Bassey and sophomore Anna Li won 6-4 against Yale's Caroline Amos and Kathy Wang to clinch the point for the Crimson.
In singles play, Harvard began by scoring another point as first-year Chelsea Williams took down Amy Yang, 6-3, 6-2. Junior Jenna Friedel, meanwhile, fought to a three-set victory against Caroline Dunleavy, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, to put the Crimson up, 3-1.
Harvard, however, could not put the Bulldogs away as the last three matches all went three sets with Yale prevailing.
- Harvard is set to close out ECAC tournament play against Cornell at 8 a.m. Sunday.
- In eight matches, the Crimson have won the doubles point in seven of them.
- Harvard remains out ahead of Yale in the all-time series, 29-22.
- Going into tomorrow's match, the Crimson lead Cornell, 38-5 all-time.
The team will prepare for its final matchup in the ECAC tournament, taking on Cornell at 8 a.m. at Yale. The match will be broadcast on ESPN3.
Yale 4, Harvard 3
New Haven, Conn.
Harvard wins doubles point.
1. Samantha Martinelli (Yale) def. Erica Oosterhout (Harvard), 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(4)
2. Jenna Friedel (Harvard) def. Caroline Dunleavy (Yale), 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
3. Jessie Gong (Yale) def. Rachel Lim (Harvard), 7-5, 6-4
4. Raissa Lou (Yale) def. Natasha Gonzalez (Harvard), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Kathy Wang (Yale) def. Rachel Eason (Harvard), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(2)
6. Chelsea Williams (Harvard) def. Amy Yang (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 6, 3, 2, 4, 1, 5*