NEW ORLEANS – The Harvard women's tennis team (10-5) used a four consecutive singles victories to take down Tulane (5-12), 4-1, Thursday afternoon at City Park in New Orleans.
"I'm very proud of our team focus and effort today," said The Sheila Kelly Palandjian Head Coach for Harvard Women's Tennis, Traci Green. "We lost a very close doubles point today and bounced back quickly on all courts for singles. We will look to continue to build on our momentum this weekend at home."
The Crimson fought hard in doubles play as senior Erica Oosterhout and junior Natasha Gonzalez were just barely edged by the No. 33 doubles pairing of Ivone Alvaro and Elena Muller, 7-5. Tulane grabbed the doubles point with the wins at the top two positions.
In singles action, Harvard answered in impressive fashion. Gonzalez dominated as the team's No. 5, defeating Christina Sisti, 6-0, 6-1, to earn the team's first point. Oosterhout followed shortly after, getting past Elena Muller, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 1 position.
Junior Jenna Friedel added a third point, after defeating Daniela La Fuente, 6-3, 6-2, in the second slot. Then first-year Rachel Eason supplied the clinching point, grinding out a 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 victory against Laura Fabrizi at No. 4.
- The Crimson take a 2-1 lead in the all-time series against the Green Wave.
- Harvard used four-consecutive singles victories to clinch the win.
- Gonzalez increased her team-leading singles victories total to nine and now sports a 9-2 record in singles play this season.
- With today's victory, Oosterhout has started to hit her stride, earning singles wins in three of her last four matches.
The Crimson will travel back to Cambridge for two matches, beginning Saturday at 1 p.m. against Quinnipiac, followed by a matchup against Memphis on Sunday at 11 a.m. Both matches will be broadcast on ESPN+.
Harvard 4, Tulane 1
City Park, New Orleans
1. Erica Oosterhout (HARV) def. Elena Muller (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jenna Friedel (HARV) def. Daniela La Fuente (TLN) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ivone Alvaro (TLN) vs. Rachel Lim (HARV) 4-6, 6-2, 0-1, unfinished
4. Rachel Eason (HARV) def. Laura Fabrizi (TLN) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. Natasha Gonzalez (HARV) def. Christina Sisti (TLN) 6-0, 6-1
6. Adelaide Lavery (TLN) vs. Irene Lu (HARV) 7-5, 0-6, 2-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,2,4)