CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's tennis team (15-6, 3-1 Ivy) used a come-from-behind victory to take down Yale (12-8, 3-1 Ivy), 4-3, in the team's final home match of the season.
In doubles play, the pairing of senior Erica Oosterhout and junior Natasha Gonzalez defeated Samantha Martinelli and Jessie Gong, 6-3, at No. 1. Yale would pick up the doubles point, despite a strong showing from first-year Annika Bassey and senior Isabel Jasper, who were barely edged, 7-6 (5), by Caroline Amos and Kathy Wang.
The Crimson fought back in singles play, beginning with another strong performance from junior Irene Lu at the bottom of the order, skating by Kathy Wang, 6-2, 6-1. Gonzalez earned her second win of the day, this time taking down Jessie Gong, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 4.
Harvard used two three-set matches to clinch the victory, beginning with Jenna Friedel, who defeated Caroline Dunleavy, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, at No. 2. First-year Rachel Eason, meanwhile, added with a strong performance against Amy Yang, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, at the fifth position.
- With the victory, Harvard jumped Yale in the standings, moving to second place in the Ivy League with a 3-1 record.
- Friedel continues to dominate as the team's No. 2, now sporting a 10-match win streak and a 13-1 singles record in the spring.
- Oosterhout and Gonzalez lead the team in doubles play, with 10 wins as a pairing in the spring.
- This week's COOP Student-Athlete of the week, Irene Lu, dominated in two sets against her opponent.
- The team honored seniors Erica Oosterhout, Isabel Jasper and student manager Brett Jennings before the start of the contest (see picture below).
The Crimson continues Ivy League play on the road this Sunday taking on Brown at 1 p.m.
Harvard University def. Yale University 4-3
S1: Samantha Martinelli def. Erica Oosterhout 6-4, 6-3
S2: Jenna Friedel def. Caroline Dunleavy 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
S3: Raissa Lou def. Rachel Lim 6-1, 6-3
S4: Natasha Gonzalez def. Jessie Gong 6-4, 6-4
S5: Rachel Eason def. Amy Yang 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
S6: Irene Lu def. Kathy Wang 6-2, 6-1
D1: Erica Oosterhout / Natasha Gonzalez def. Samantha Martinelli / Jessie Gong 6-3
D2: Caroline Dunleavy / Raissa Lou def. Jenna Friedel / Rachel Lim 6-4
D3: Caroline Amos / Kathy Wang def. Annika Bassey / Isabel Jasper 7-6(5)