ITHACA, N.Y. – The Harvard women's tennis team (17-6, 5-1 Ivy) breezed by Cornell (6-15, 0-6 Ivy), 4-0, Saturday in Ithaca, New York. The team will travel to New York City to face off against No. 44 Columbia on Sunday in the team's season finale, beginning at noon and broadcast on ESPN3.
The Crimson came out strong in doubles play, winning the first two matches of the contest. Senior Erica Oosterhout and junior Natasha Gonzalez defeated Valerie Ho and Katherine Nguyen, 6-2, as the team's top doubles pairing. Sophomore Anna Li and first-year Annika Bassey also earned a 6-2 victory against Khary Pryce and Mariko Iinuma.
Harvard continued its dominance in singles play. Gonzalez added her second victory of the afternoon, taking down Maria Adiaconitei, 6-1, 6-2. Junior Irene Lu dominated in her first set, 6-1, then battled hard in the second set, defeating Sarah Campbell, 7-5. Rounding out the top six, junior Lexi Milunovich made quick work of her opponent, Khary Pryce, 6-1, 6-0.
- Both Oosterhout and junior Jenna Friedel led each of their singles matches when play was suspended at the clinching of Harvard's fourth point.
- Gonzalez added her 14th victory in singles play this season, which ties her for the team lead with Friedel.
- Oosterhout and Gonzalez added the pairing's 11th doubles victory this season. The mark is the best on the team.
- Lu added another win today, extending her win streak to seven-straight singles matches.
- The team has won nine of its last 10 matches, dating back to the March 19 win against Southern.
Harvard closes out its regular season on Sunday, taking on No. 44 Columbia in New York City. The match will be broadcast on ESPN3.