CAMBRIDGE, Mass – Harvard women's tennis kicked off the Spring season in spectacular fashion, picking up a 6-1 victory over the Quinnipiac Bobcats. The Crimson (1-0, 0-0 Ivy) won eight of nine matchups on the day, including all three doubles matches.
The duo of Rachel Eason and Rachel Lim got the action started in doubles play, picking up a 6-2 win in the third pairing. The Crimson secured the doubles point and a 1-0 lead when first-year Kayla Leschly and junior Anna Li won 6-2 at the second doubles pairing.
The Crimson wasted no time racking up the wins in singles play, as senior captain Lexi Milunovich ran away with a straight-sets win at the sixth position.
First-year Mihaela Marculescu picked up where she left off in the fall, adding a convincing 6-0, 6-0 win at the third pairing to make it 3-0 Crimson.
Eason clinched the win for Harvard after her 6-0, 6-3 decision in the fourth pairing.
Harvard would add two more points to their total by way of Gonzalez and first-year Sophia Ho, who won at the fifth and second pairings, respectively.
- Marculescu started the season in tremendous fashion, blanking her opponent at the second position 6-0, 6-0. This was her 10th singles win of the season.
- The doubles pairings of Li/Leschly and Gonzalaez/Friedel improved to 2-0 on the season.
- Senior captain Lexi Milunovich picked up her first singles win of the season.
- First-year Sophia Ho won, 6-2, 6-2, in her dual-match debut.
Harvard carries its 1-0 record into matches with Boston College and Fordham this weekend at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. Matches will be played on Jan. 24 at 5 p.m., and Jan. 25 at 3 p.m., respectively. Both contests will be streamed live on ESPN3.
Harvard – 6, Quinnipiac – 1
- Kamilla Nella (QU) def. Jenna Friedel – 6-2, 6-2
- Sophia Ho def. Andie Williams (QU) – 6-2, 6-2
- Mihaela Marculescu def. Layla Rodriguez (QU) – 6-0, 6-0
- Rachel Eason def. Payton Bradley (QU) – 6-0, 6-3
- Natasha Gonzalez def. Jordan Bradley (QU) – 6-0, 6-3
- Lexi Milunovich def. Amy Zammarieh (QU) – 6-0, 6-2