CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's volleyball team is set to open its 2018 campaign this weekend, Sept. 1-2, on the road at the Michigan Invitational. The Crimson will face a doubleheader on Saturday, Sept. 1, first challenging Cleveland State at 2 p.m. before taking on Michigan at 7 p.m. Closing out the Invitational on Sept. 2, the Crimson battle Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m.
What to Know
- Harvard returns 11 letterwinners from last season, including top scorers Christina Cornelius, Maclaine Fields, Mindie Mabry and Grace Roberts Burbank
- Cornelius, the Crimson's senior co-captain, averaged 2.66 kills per set and a .289 hitting percentage in 2017, landing her a spot on the All-Ivy first team for the second time in her career.
- The Crimson finished the 2017 season tied for third in the Ivy League with an 8-6 record and 13-10 overall mark.
- Harvard will meet all three opponents for the first time in program history this weekend.
- In the Ivy League's inaugural preseason poll, Harvard was picked to finish third in conference action with 97 points, besting Cornell (79), Penn (68), Columbia (49), Dartmouth (48) and Brown (20). Princeton (133) and Yale (118) topped the list.
Leading the Way
Head coach Jennifer Weiss enters her 26th season at the helm of the program, where she has accumulated a 145-150 Ivy record, has led Harvard to three Ivy League titles and has guided 80 All-Ivy selections during her tenure.
Harvard will travel to Fairfield, Conn. for the Fairfield Invitational, Sept. 7-8. The Crimson will face Central Connecticut State on Friday, Sept. 7 at 4:30 p.m. Harvard will then take on Michigan State and Fairfield for a doubleheader on Saturday, Sept. 8. Matches are slated to begin at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively.