CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Coming off a 2-1 finish at the Fairfield Invitational last weekend, the Harvard women's volleyball team is set to take on crosstown rivals Boston College, Northeastern and UMass Lowell in the annual New England Challenge this Thursday, Sept. 13-Saturday, Sept. 15.
What to Know
- The Crimson was named New England Challenge Champions last season after sweeping the competition, claiming regional bragging rights and hosting rights this year.
- Harvard tallied its first two wins of the season last weekend at the Fairfield Invitational, defeating Central Connecticut State (3-2) and Fairfield (3-1).
- Senior co-captain Christina Cornelius was selected as a member of the Fairfield Invitational All-Tournament team after registering 33 kills, 22 digs and nine blocks over the three-match slate. Cornelius posted an unblemished mark against the Stags, tallying 12 kills and zero errors to hit .522.
- Rookie Bella Almanza ranks seventh in the league and leads the Crimson with 6.13 assists per set, accumulating 147 helpers to date through six matches this season.
- Junior Maclaine Fields notched a career-high 20 kills against Central Connecticut State, while recording a mere two errors to register a .486 attack percentage to lead the Crimson to a come-from-behind 3-2 victory.
Harvard will travel to Dartmouth to open league play for its first Ivy contest of the season next Friday, Sept. 21. First serve is set for 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPN+.