CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 17 Harvard women's water polo team will open up its season at Blodgett Pool with the Harvard Mini. The Crimson will first face Villanova at 9 a.m., before taking on Iona at 3:30 p.m. Brown will also be participating in the tournament with against Iona at 11 a.m. and Villanova at 2 p.m. This is the second-straight year that Harvard will begin the season with matches against Iona and Villanova.
What to Know
- Harvard leads the series against Villanova, 27-2, posting 24-straight wins against the Wildcats dating back to the 1999-2000 season.
- Against Iona, the Crimson holds a 17-4 series lead, having not lost a match against the Gaels since 2015.
- Harvard is looking for its third-straight season opening victory and its third straight 2-0 start to the season since 2017-18.
- Seniors Sofia Carrera-Justiz and Mathilde Ribordy have been named captains for the 2019-20 season.
- Key returners for the Crimson include sophomore center Grace Thawley, who earned CWPA All-Tournament and All-CWPA Second-Team honors last season, sophomore goalie Zoe Banks and sophomore defender Inde Halligan.
At the Helm
The Friends of Harvard Water Polo Head Coach, Ted Minnis, enters his 10th season with the Crimson, guiding the women's program to a 21-8 record last season. Minnis has accumulated 164 victories with the team.
The Crimson will hit the road for the entire month of February, first heading to Providence, Rhode Island for the Bruno Classic hosted by Brown on Feb. 1. There, Harvard will see action against Whittier and Wagner.